Monday 16 April 2012

Evaluation. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

Planet of the Dub is my own view of the current media society that we live in. The character of the Music producer, is stubborn, selfish and ignorant. In seeing that Dubstep is the new 'craze' within the public, he coldly turns down the people who have talent just to please the masses. This happens often in the industry, when a new and popular sound hits the charts, many artists and producers begin to see this as a way to earn big money.

My film also touches upon the areas of originality and Authenticity. When the Music Producer goes into the Dubstep world, everyone is only listening to Dubstep and its the only genre of music being played. The producer then starts to hate this ideal world that he wanted and soon realises that his greed and following of the masses has created a discomforting society of unoriginal features. The second area that I showed in my film was the Influence of technology within society. The scene towards the end, where the 'Zombie' like teenagers, wearing the headphones was meant to be a small reference to the seclusion and anti social behaviour that is created when listening to music wearing headphones. You now start to see footballers walk off the the coach wearing headphones to suggest that their journey has been an anti social one. Headphones can be seen as a barrier between connecting with daily life and young people have grown up plugged into music. I was trying to capture a 'what if scenario' where everyone is wearing headphones and loose all form of communication.

I believe that my short film was quite a interesting concept to choose. The use of Dubstep as a foundation for the story worked really well and was refreshing. From the feedback from my questionnaire, Short films aren't really common to the ages of 15-19years because they are a niche art form. However by incorporating Dubstep, which is a genre of music associated with teenagers, I was able to challenge the usual stereotypes of short films thought being only available to people in the film and art industry. Dubstep pulled in my chosen target audience of 15-30 years because they could understand some of the references I put in my film. 'Now its like walking through a Skryllex video!'And maybe by them watching my short film, this may encourage them to watch other ones.

The conventions of a Music film is used in my film. I wanted to have music constantly playing throughout the film. The music starts off as being very normal, with the use of Hip hop and pop. then gradually the Juxtaposition of the Dubstep kicks in. With heavy basslines and alien sounds. I wanted the audience to feel uneasy when watching because the Dubstep is a form of hypnosis. Eventually the music goes back to peaceful at the end and I chose Greig's Morning mood, because its a very warm and comforting song.

The outfit that the music producer wears is a black suite. This is to show that he is wealthy and has power within the industry. The rest of the characters are seen wearing average normal clothes, to highlight the social hierarchy between them. The location of the studio was to highlight the music aspect of the film. with the keyboard in the background behind the producer. The Exterior shots of the High rise buildings, were meant to give the impression that the record company is set in a city. Which linked in well with Dubstep  because that was established as a genre in the urban environment of London.
To make the Dubstep world stand out from the reality in my film, I wanted to change and play around with the colours, this turned out to be a good visual aid for my film as the audience is thrown into the strange world with the main character. I chose purple as the 'Dubstep colour' because its a very vibrant and in your face colour. The music genre of Dubstep has a very futuristic feel about it. I wanted to put the sounds of dubstep and bring them to life visually. The neon purple was a good way of visualising the futuristic sounds to make it seem alien to the audience.

My poster is more of a spoof poster than anything fitting in well with the Comedic side of my film. I took the style of the 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes' DVD cover (I've already spoofed the name 'Planet of the Dub')  and put my own take on it.

The speakers in the distance were meant to represent the power of Dubstep, which overwhelms the Music Producer in my film. I chose to put over exaggerated sized speakers, for anyone who hadn't seen the film, they would then know that 'Planet of the Dub' is a film about music. I chose to use orange and purple as the main colours. Orange, the colour of fire and flames, is meant to show the destruction and pain that is running through the Music Producer's head when he enters the Dubstep world. The purple is the reference to the strange neon colour filter that appears in my film. Although the main characters head being the centre focus is a homage to 'Rise of the Planet of the Apes', its also to show that he is the focus of the film. This is his story, his journey, and I wanted to establish this in my film.

With my Review, I researched movie reviews on the website 'Empire'. The reviews always have a small synopsis on the film and a verdict which sums up what the the reviewer thinks of the film. The main review is the key of the page as it addresses some of the plot, information on the film and personal opinions. On the right of the page on Empire, it includes a section called 'Film details'. This includes key information about the film such as certificate, Cast, Directors,Screenwriters and running time. I included this in my review. I put a small still from my film, which doesn't give away too much of the plot but highlights a key aspect of the film. I chose the picture I used because it shows off the purple neon, visual aspect of the film. The main character has his head in his hands, which shows that he is in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment