Monday 16 April 2012

Evaluation. How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

When I first started to plan my idea for my main product, I was originally Going to have a film about a retired DJ, who is strapped for cash and decides to return to the music industry but finds that its a lot harder to fit in with the modern music scene. But after many attempts to draft a decent storyline and script I decided to change my idea. The Theme would still be Music, but a totally different story. When trying to draft the script for my first idea, I was listening to some Dubstep, the interesting heavy baselines, and futuristic sounds, make the genre of Dubstep a alien and unique form of music. I thought that this could make a good idea for a short film.

The story was Dubstep had taken over the world. After a heavy night drinking, a man wakes up to find that this has happened. But after some feedback, the story was seen as being too weak, with only a middle and no beginning and end. I looked at having the character being in the music industry and wishes that the world is dubstep. This then gave a moral to the story, 'the character's wish becomes a nightmare ploy'. And then I thought  about putting a twist at the end, have the audience think that the world is back to normal but something is shown at the end to show that it wasn't a dream. 

With the script and storyboard finished I was ready to film. However on the day of filming, many of my actors had to turn it down and only two were available. when filming the Zombie teenagers scene, the actor playing the lead character(the music producer) didn't really connect with the script and I felt that he wasn't the right choice for the role. 

The First scene in the video on the right, was the original actor.

Frustrated with how the filming went, I Then decided to change my idea, feeling that the Dubstep theme wouldn't work. In my early stages of planning, one of my other ideas for a short film was an  apocalyptic theme, where only a few humans had survived a cataclysm event. I drew out a new storyboard and was to film straight away.

But something made me change my mind again and go back to my Dubstep idea and film again but with a different actor. 

The picture shows the first actor, who was then replaced with Sam ,
who you see in Planet of the Dub.
My Main product combined with my poster and review worked really well. They each assist each other well and help bring my idea come to life.

The way in which brings the three texts together is the use of Dubstep. The music genre is seen throughout, with the speakers in my poster and The name of my short film 'PLANET OF THE DUB'. The word Dub would let the audience know that Dubstep is involved. The music and colours in my film all relate to Dubstep. I have represented the Futuristic surreal world of Dubstep within all the three media texts, as the neon bright colours are found in the poster and in the review colour scheme.

The poster 

As you can see the poster colour scheme reflects the colours in my short film. The Use of the Sam on the front is a good way of promoting the actor, which is usually shown in short films. The speakers and title, again, tells the audience that the film is about Dubstep. And the use of my distribution in the right corner, is a way of promoting the company.

The Review


The colour scheme used for the review is a light blue which reflects my chosen target audience, which is 15-29. A dull colour would not attract this age group. The Still I chose from the movie in the top right corner, was a good way of showing the films visual aspect, (the purple filter) but it also links in with the poster. Sams facial expression is a mixture of confused and annoyed, which is similar to the review still, as he is walking in shame of the Dubstep world, which he ultimately created, holding is head in his hands.

The links at the side of FACEBOOK and TWITTER, is there to show that this is still an independent film and you can connect with  the film and review company 'World' in a social network.

The different texts help promote the film and create a good sense of production.

No comments:

Post a Comment